Sunday, September 11, 2011

the great indoors

this weekend has been a delight.  Although we have been up to our ears in paint (a LONG kitchen cabinet project that I started in May, I don't want to talk about it) we have been able to sneak in some relaxation.  Leave it to football and temporary low temperatures to get this girl into the fall mode.  I know, football?  Me? its not the watching of the game, but the sounds of football in the background while I do something else that is so soothing.

We made chicken noodle soup and chili, put out some delicious smelling candles and I even did some crafting.  That might be why I love fall so much.  It ushers in a season of nestling inside and eating comfort food.  I love being inside.  I am one of the weirdos who grew up in Colorado and somehow does not like to hike.  Call me lame, call me lazy, but I call me a lover of my home, wherever that is, a temporary summer dwelling in the smoky mountains, a small apartment in the semi-ghetto or our new home.

So to marry some of my favorite things, fall and food,  Amy introduced me to the most delicious cookie I  have ever had.  Its a family recipe. The cookie is so moist its like cake.  And its not too sweet, don't let the icing fool you.  Its enough to make you want a fourth.

So here it is

-----------------------------------------------------

Mom's Pumpkin Cookies

Sift together:
   2 cups sifted flour
   1 tsp. baking powder
   1 tsp. baking soda
   1 tsp. cinnamon
   1 tsp. salt

Blend in 1 cup of shortening (Amy used butter, and accidentally cut it in half and they were amazing). Add 1 cup of pumpkin, 1 egg, and 1 cup of sugar.  Mix well.

Add 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/2 cup pecans, and one cup chopped dates or raisins (we were out of raisins and Amy must have not been interested in the dates)

Bake 10-12 minutes.  Frost with caramel frosting

Mom's Never Fail Caramel Frosting:

   1 cup brown sugar
   5 Tbsp butter
   1/4 cup milk (as more as needed)

Boil.  Take off heat and add 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat with egg beater.  If its too thick, add cream.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

This is the first time I've ever heard of Pumpkin Cookies and Caramel Frosting.

I will definitely need to borrow this recipe, lol :)

I enjoyed reading your post. Here in the tropical country where I reside, fall feels just like summer, lol!